- 500g/1 lb 2oz fresh mussels
For the sauce
- 2 tsp garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh root ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tsp chilli bean sauce
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 2 fresh red chillies, seeded and chopped
- 3 tbsp spring onions, finely shredded
- 3 tbsp groundnut or peanut oil
- fresh coriander sprigs, to garnish
- Scrub the mussels clean. Discard any mussels that don’t close when tapped gently.
- Set up a steamer or put a rack into a wok or deep pan and fill it with 5cm/2in of water. Bring the water to the boil over a high heat.
- Place the mussels on a plate, then place the plate into the steamer or onto the rack.
- Turn the heat to low so the water is barely simmering and cover the wok or pan tightly.
- Steam gently for five minutes or until the mussels begin to open.
- Meanwhile, combine all the sauce ingredients, except the oil, in a heatproof bowl.
- Heat a wok or large frying-pan over high heat. When hot, add the oil. Heat the oil until it’s very hot and slightly smoking, then pour the hot oil over the sauce ingredients.
- Remove the mussels from the steamer. Discard any mussels that haven’t opened.
- Stir the sauce then pour over the mussels.
- Garnish with fresh coriander sprigs and serve at once.