Steamed Cockles with Garlic and Chilli
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 400g cockles
- boiling water
- chopped spring onions
Garlic Mixture (mix in a small bowl):
- 2 tbsp chopped garlic
- a dash of white pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp Rice wine
- 1 chilli sliced thinly
1. Wash cockles, drain and place them inside a heat-proof container or saucepan. Pour boiling water until enough to cover the cockles. Cover with lid. After 2 minutes, carefully drain the hot water.
2. Open the shells, leaving each cockle on half shell. Dip each half-shelled cockle in a bowl of cold water to shake off any excess dirt or sand.
3. Arrange half-shelled cockles one layer on a steaming plate. Spoon the garlic mixture over the top of the cockles.
4. Prepare steamer. When water in the steamer is boiling, place the plate of cockles in the steamer and steam at high heat, covered, for 3 minutes. Garnish with chopped spring onions.